MKV is an open-source, free container format that contains various types of video, pictures, audio, or subtitle tracks. This makes the MKV format unrecognisable by any single video and audio player like Quick Time. If you are a Mac user, you must have noticed that MKV files can’t be played on Mac devices. So, keeping in mind the convenience of our users, we have listed here three ways for successfully playing Mac MKV files on their devices.
Play MKV files using the Wondershare MKV player and converter
For playing MKV files on Mac devices, the multi-purpose WondershareUniConverter is highly recommended. The player combines MKV player and MKV converter into one, thereby letting users easily play MP4, MKV, MOV, and several other video formats. Also, it helps users to convert files of the MKV format to other formats that other video players support. To play the MKV files on UniConverter, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Install the Wondershare MKV converter mac. Click on Add files to browse through your videos and select the MKV files which you want to convert.
- Select MOV as the output video format
- Beside “convert all tasks to”, you get an inverted triangle. Click on that icon to get the complete list of all formats you can convert your MKV video to. Select the video, then click on MOV and finally choose any video quality.
- Hit the” convert all” option and all your selected MKV videos will be converted into MOV files.
- Once the conversion is complete, you will get the newly converted .mov file by clicking on the folder-like icon. Now, you can easily play your desired MKV file with any player on your Mac device.
Apart from this software, you also have the Wondershare AVI player for Mac. It’s one of the best video player and converter where you can play innumerable video formats in high resolution.
Use an Online converter:
If you are unwilling to download any software, you can use an effective online video converter for playing your MKV or WMV files on Mac.
For this, you can always refer to the online video converting sites available like https://convert-video-online.com/. To convert your MKV or WMV files on an online converter, follow the simple steps:
- Open the online site. Now, select the video file which you want to convert.
- Select MOV as the output format.
- Now click on convert.
Once the conversion is complete, you can download and play the video in the MOV format.
Use a suitable Media Player and converter
Since the above two steps are time taking, using an alternative media player is the best solution for playing MKV files on MAC devices.
If you are to choose the best media player for macOS, we would suggest the Elmedia player. It’s the most versatile media player, which would provide you with a customised viewing experience. You can create playlists and play the MKV files in high resolution.
Several media players like VLC media player, MPlayerX, 5KPlayer, Elmedia player, etc. support MKV file format and hence help you play such video files.